Old Man Rountree: elderly Pullman porter and friend of Ella’s
Pappy Cousins: Yankee Clipper steward
Ed Small: owner of Small’s Paradise, a popular Harlem nightspot
Charlie Small: Ed’s brother, who interviews Malcolm for a job
In 1942, Malcolm is hired by a railroad company to work as a dishwasher on its Boston to Washington, DC run. Soon, he is promoted and begins selling food on the “Yankee Clipper,” the train that runs between Boston and New York City. On his first trip to New York’s Harlem, he visits...
(The entire page is 546 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE