1940s: India is still under colonial rule, gaining independence in 1947.
1970s: India has resolved many of its internal and external disputes and taken an active part in the creation of Bangladesh.
1990s: India emerges as a major industrial nation.
1940s: India is predominantly rural with relatively few urban centers.
1970s: India is still a controlled economy, but major advances are occurring in the shift to urban life.
1990s: India has become technologically advanced and very urban in its structure....
(The entire page is 191 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE