At a glance:
- Author: Yasmina Reza
- First Published: 1994
- Type of Plot: Psychological
- Time of Work: 1994
- Setting: Paris, France
- Characters: Marc, Serge, Yvan
- Genres: Drama, Psychological drama, Comedy
- Subjects: Philosophy or philosophers, Twentieth century, Art or artists, Friendship, Painting or painters, Men, 1990's
- Locales: France, Europe, Paris, France
The setting of this one-act play is the main room of a Paris apartment, which serves variously as the residence of Serge, Yvan, and Marc. The focus is on a painting, a plain canvas covered with white paint. As the play opens, Marc explains that Serge has just bought the painting for 200,000 francs (about $30,000). He thinks Serge is a fool, but Serge explains that the painter, Antrios, is well known and that Marc is ignorant about contemporary art. Moreover, Serge is hurt by Marc’s vile and pretentious laugh.
Upset by Serge’s reaction to his comments, Marc...
(The entire page is 1952 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
Popular QuestionsSee all »
- What is the difference between a Hollywood and an Indie Film? I would also like to know what is the difference between a Dolly Zoom...
- Name the work by Saint-Saens that was used in the film "Babe?"
- What time period does the play "Art" cover in days and weeks?
- What is the allowable playtime on an LP album?
- What is the movie "Finding Forester" about? I heard it was a good movie - can you tell me what its about?