Sheng-Mei Ma (essay date 1997)
SOURCE: Ma, Sheng-Mei. “Mourning with the (as a) Jew: Metaphor, Ethnicity, and the Holocaust in Art Spiegelman's Maus.” Studies in American Jewish Literature 16 (1997): 115-29.
[In the following essay, Ma discusses the significance of cultural identity, particularly Jewish identity, to the reading of Maus, noting that Spiegelman is “acutely aware that his comics reach a large audience across ethnic and national boundaries.”]
I. MOURNING WITH THE JEW OR MOURNING AS A JEW
(The entire page is 5209 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE