At a glance:
- Author: George Bernard Shaw
- First Published: 1894
- Type of Work: Drama
- Type of Plot: Comedy
- Setting: Bulgaria
- Characters: Raina Petkoff, Catherine, Major Paul Petkoff, Major Sergius Saranoff, Captain Bluntschli, Nicola, Louka
- Genres: Drama, Comedy
- Subjects: Pragmatism, Love or romance, Nineteenth century, War, Idealism, Soldiers, Eastern Europe or eastern Europeans
- Locales: Europe, Bulgaria
Raina is in her bedroom on the second floor of the Petkoff house in a small town in Bulgaria when her mother enters to tell her that Sergius has just led the Bulgarians to victory in battle with the Serbs. Raina rejoices; her idealistic expectations of war and soldiers are met. Louka enters to tell them that the army orders them to lock all the doors and windows while enemy stragglers are being pursued. Catherine and Louka leave. Shots are heard outside and a man stumbles into the room. He is a Serbian artillery officer, exhausted, nervous, and hungry. When soldiers...
(The entire page is 2244 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
Popular QuestionsSee all »
- Discuss the thems of "Romanticism of war" and "Romanticism of love" in Arms and the Man. It would be better if there are examples on...
- What is a theme in ARMS AND THE MAN? Is this themeoptimistic or pesimistic?
- Explain Raina and Bluntschli's relationship
- What does "arms and the man" mean? The title of the play Arms and the Man by George Bernard Shaw.
- Analyze Catherine's character in the play " The Arms and The Man" by George Bernard Shaw? A full describtion for Catherine's...