At a glance:
- Author: George Bernard Shaw
- First Published: 1898
- Type of Work: Comedy
- Time of Work: 1885-1886
- Setting: Bulgaria
- Characters: Raina Petkoff, Catherine Petkoff, Major Paul Petkoff, Major Sergius Saranoff, Captain Bluntschli, Nicola, Louka
- Genres: Drama, Comedy
- Subjects: Pragmatism, Love or romance, Nineteenth century, War, Idealism, Soldiers, Eastern Europe or eastern Europeans
- Locales: Europe, Bulgaria
Arms and the Man begins in November, 1885. Raina is seen at the open balcony window on the second floor of the Petkoff house in a small Bulgarian town. Her mother enters with the news that Raina’s fiance, Sergius, has just led the Bulgarians to victory in battle against the Serbians. Raina rejoices; her idealistic expectations of war and soldiers have been met. The servant Louka enters to tell them that the army has ordered people to stay indoors and lock and bolt all doors and windows while stragglers are being pursued in the streets. Catherine and Louka...
(The entire page is 3081 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
Popular QuestionsSee all »
- Discuss the thems of "Romanticism of war" and "Romanticism of love" in Arms and the Man. It would be better if there are examples on...
- What is a theme in ARMS AND THE MAN? Is this themeoptimistic or pesimistic?
- Explain Raina and Bluntschli's relationship
- What does "arms and the man" mean? The title of the play Arms and the Man by George Bernard Shaw.
- Analyze Catherine's character in the play " The Arms and The Man" by George Bernard Shaw? A full describtion for Catherine's...