At a glance:
- Author: George Bernard Shaw
- First Published: 1898
- Type of Work: Play
- Type of Plot: Comedy
- Time of Work: November, 1885, to March, 1886
- Setting: Bulgaria
- Genres: Drama, Comedy
- Subjects: Pragmatism, Love or romance, Nineteenth century, War, Idealism, Soldiers, Eastern Europe or eastern Europeans
- Locales: Europe, Bulgaria
Catherine Petkoff, the mother of Raina and wife of Major Petkoff. The Petkoffs are an upper-class Bulgarian family. As the play opens, Catherine rushes into Raina’s bedroom in the late evening to tell her the news that Raina’s fiancé, Sergius Saranoff, led a victory in battle in the Russian-Austrian War, with the Bulgarians on the side of the Russians. Both women are thrilled, and both are very romantic in their attitudes.
Raina Petkoff, a twenty-three-year-old who idealistically believes...
(The entire page is 890 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
Popular QuestionsSee all »
- Discuss the thems of "Romanticism of war" and "Romanticism of love" in Arms and the Man. It would be better if there are examples on...
- What is a theme in ARMS AND THE MAN? Is this themeoptimistic or pesimistic?
- Explain Raina and Bluntschli's relationship
- What does "arms and the man" mean? The title of the play Arms and the Man by George Bernard Shaw.
- Analyze Catherine's character in the play " The Arms and The Man" by George Bernard Shaw? A full describtion for Catherine's...