Clifton Cherpack (essay date fall 1975)
SOURCE: Cherpack, Clifton. “Le Petit Jehan de Saintré: The Archetypal Background.” The Journal of Medieval and Renaissance Studies 5, no. 2 (fall 1975): 243-52.
[In the following essay, Cherpack evaluates the problem of unity in Little John of Saintré, averring that the archetypal stories at the core of the myths of Pygmalion and Prometheus inform the characterization and development of the work.]
The reasons why Le Petit Jehan de Saintré is the most studied French work of its...
(The entire page is 4608 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE