At a glance:
- Author: Lucy Maud Montgomery
- First Published: 1908
- Time of Work: The late nineteenth century
- Setting: Prince Edward Island, Canada
- Characters: Anne Shirley, Marilla Cuthbert, Matthew Cuthbert, Diana Barry, Gilbert Blythe
- Genres: Long fiction, Bildungsroman, Children's literature, Novel
- Subjects: Maturation or coming of age, Family or family life, Nature, Nineteenth century, Education or educators, Friendship, Adoption or adopted children, Canada or Canadians, Identity, Hair
- Locales: Canada, Avonlea, Canada, North America
Anne of Green Gables recounts, through a series of short episodes, Anne’s girlhood, from her arrival at the village of Avonlea to the time she graduates from Teacher Training College. Based on L. M. Montgomery’s own childhood memories, Anne’s life is shown to be intertwined with the pastoral rhythms of this particular eastern seaboard province of Canada.
The story begins with a middle-aged brother and sister in search of a young orphanage boy to help around their farm, Green Gables. As the result of a misunderstanding, they get a ferociously...
(The entire page is 2481 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
Popular QuestionsSee all »
- What is the theme of Anne of Green Gables? I don't understand what the theme in Anne of Green Gables is. Does it have...
- What are some good quotes from Anne of Green Gables to use in relation to how Anne does not follow the typical gender role of this time...
- What were the conflicts in the book Anne of Green Gables - external or internal, and how were they resolved?
- What did Anne say was good about herself? In "Anne of Green Gables"
- In the book Anne of Green Gables, what is the climax or major crisis between Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe. ...