Annelies Marie Frank was born to Otto and Edith Frank on June 12, 1929, in Frankfurt, Germany. The year was notable, as it marked the beginning of the Great Depression in the United States and the global economic and political crises that followed. These factors would figure prominently in the worldwide turmoil leading up to World War II. When Hitler was elected chancellor of Germany in 1933, Mr. Frank had the foresight to move his family out of Germany. They settled in Amsterdam, Holland.
When Hitler's regime occupied Holland in 1940, the Franks were subjected to increasingly...
(The entire page is 522 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE