Financially, Stepan Arkadyevitch is in serious trouble. The money for two-thirds of the forest land he sold is already gone; he has borrowed against the remaining third at ten percent interest, The merchant will not give him any more, as Darya Alexandrovna has asserted herself for the first time, insisting that it is her property and she will not sign the receipt for payment of the remaining third. All of Stepan Arkadyevitch’s salary goes to household expenses and unavoidable small debts which must be paid. There is absolutely no money.
Stepan Arkadyevitch finds this situation...
(The entire page is 548 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE