At a glance:
- Author: Barbara Pym
- First Published: 1986
- Type of Work: Novel
- Time of Work: Approximately 1970
- Setting: A provincial university town in England
- Characters: Alan Grimstone, Caroline Grimstone, Crispin Maynard, Coco Jeffreys, Kitty Jeffreys, Dolly Arborfield, Iris Horniblow
- Genres: Long fiction, Novel
- Subjects: 1970's, Twentieth century, Education or educators, England or English people, Ambition, Anthropology or anthropologists, Colleges or universities, Sociology, College or university towns
- Locales: Europe, England, United Kingdom
Loyal readers of Barbara Pym’s novels will be pleased with the posthumous publication of An Academic Question, following so soon after the appearance of Crampton Hodnet in 1985. The novel has been made available through the editorial efforts of Hazel Holt, Pym’s literary executor. Working from the notes and drafts which Pym accumulated during the late 1960’s and early 1970’s, she has made available a delightful novel which will be a valuable addition to the eleven others in the Pym canon. Pym herself did not expect the novel to be published, although...
(The entire page is 2198 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE