- Slavery in early America
- Slavery and the Constitution
- "King Cotton"
- Life as a slave
- Two different economies
- Words to Know
- People to Know
- Quakers Lead Opposition to Slavery
- Thomas Jefferson, the Slaveowner Who Wrote the Declaration of Independence
- Remembrances of Slavery
When America's Founding Fathers (the country's earliest leaders) established the United States in the late 1700s, they decided to build the new nation on principles of freedom and liberty for its...
(The entire page is 5623 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE