- The Crittenden Compromise
- Formation of the Confederate States of America
- The Confederacy selects its first president
- Lincoln signals determination to preserve the Union
- The controversy over Fort Sumter
- Lincoln attempts to send supplies
- Southern forces attack Fort Sumter
- Undecided states join the Confederacy
- The Union fights to keep other border states
(The entire page is 6663 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE