At a glance:
- Author: Tom Wolfe
- First Published: 2004
- Type of Work: Novel
- Genres: Long fiction, Novel
- Subjects: United States or Americans, Sex or sexuality, Education or educators, Pennsylvania, College life, Women, North Carolina, Loneliness, Colleges or universities, Students or student life, 2000's
- Locales: United States, Pennsylvania, North America
The eponymous heroine of I Am Charlotte Simmons is the most brilliant student ever graduated from Alleghany High School in tiny Sparta, located high in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. Although she is beautiful of face and form, her academic seriousness has always distanced her from her classmates. She wins a scholarship to Dupont University in Chester, Pennsylvania, “on the other side of the Blue Ridge.” Dupont is an elite institution, ranked second in the nation by U.S. News & World Report. Her mother tells her that, if faced with...
(The entire page is 773 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE