Article abstract: At issue: Christian or Muslim control of southern Spain. Result: The Almohad Conquest temporarily slowed Christian advances in Spain but represented the last major attempt to do so.
As the caliphate of Cordova disintegrated after 1000, numerous ministates sprang up around the major urban centers of Al-Andalus, Muslim Spain. The civil strife and competition that ensued attracted the attention of a group of Berber Muslim purists in Morocco known as Almoravids. This group consolidated its power in northwest Africa and invaded...
(The entire page is 698 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE