- Dylan Thomas (Critical Survey of Drama, Second Revised Edition)
- Dylan Thomas (Critical Survey of Poetry: British, Irish, & Commonwealth Poets)
- Dylan Thomas (Cyclopedia of World Authors, Fourth Revised Edition)
- Dylan Thomas (Critical Survey of Short Fiction, Second Revised Edition)
- Theory of Short Fiction (Critical Survey of Short Fiction, Second Revised Edition)
At a glance:
- Author: Dylan Thomas
- First Published: 1934
- Type of Plot: Sketch
- Time of Work: 1933
- Setting: Wales
- Characters: Annie, The fat man
- Genres: Short fiction, Sketch
- Subjects: Homelessness or homeless people, Mothers, Parents and children, Alienation, Fear, Single parents or single-parent families, Loneliness, Fairs, Obesity, Hunger, Tents, Astrology or astrologers
- Locales: Europe, Wales, United Kingdom
After the crowd goes home from a local fair and the booths and rides are closed down, a young girl named Annie remains behind. Surrounded by the shapes of wooden horses and fairy boats, she begins to look for a place to sleep for the night. Peeping into tents and behind stalls shrouded in canvas, she continues searching for a suitable bed but fails to find a comfortable place. When she comes to the Astrologer’s tent, she discovers a bundle of straw in the corner. When she touches the straw it begins to move. She then kneels by its side, puts out her hand, and feels a...
(The entire page is 1235 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE