Adrados, Francisco R. "The 'Life of Aesop' and the Origins of Novel in Antiquity." Quaderni urbinati di cultura classica, n.s. I (1979): 93-112.
Discusses various incidents in the ancient "Life of Aesop" while arguing that the comic-realistic novel resulted from the merging of a Hellenic adaptation of the legend of Ahikar with the legend of a fable-telling Delphic pharmakos, or scapegoat.
Baker, Howard. "A Portrait of Aesop." Sewanee Review LXXVII, No. 4 (October-December...
(The entire page is 1667 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE