J. J. Healy (essay date 1972)
SOURCE: Healy, J. J. “The Treatment of the Aborigine in Early Australian Fiction, 1840-70.” Australian Literary Studies 5, no. 3 (May 1972): 233-53.
[In the following essay, Healy surveys mid-nineteenth-century portrayals of Aborigines in Australian fiction, suggesting that the most impressive of these can be found in Charles de Boos's 1867 novel Fifty Years Ago.]
In his Impressions of Australia Felix … Richard Howitt attacked the credibility of ‘Whited Sepulchre Emigration Books’. He expanded his...
(The entire page is 10559 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE