Ann Saddlemyer (essay date September 1981)
SOURCE: Saddlemyer, Ann. “J. M. Synge on the Irish Dramatic Movement: An Unpublished Article.” Modern Drama 24, no. 3 (September 1981): 276-81.
[In the following essay, Saddlemyer discusses an unpublished essay by John Millington Synge that demonstrates Synge's commitment to Yeats's artistic principles and the ideals of the early Abbey Theatre.]
During the last week of April, 1906, the Irish National Theatre Society visited the north of England for the first time, performing in the Midland Theatre,...
(The entire page is 3065 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE