Osama bin Laden, a wealthy native of Saudi Arabia, is the head of al- Qaida (“The Base”), a terrorist network. Believed to be responsible for organizing two 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in Africa, he was an immediate prime suspect for masterminding the September 11, 2001, attacks on America. The following is a translation of taped remarks that aired on an Arab television station on October 7. The remarks were first broadcast shortly after American and British forces began bombing operations that day in Afghanistan, where bin Laden has resided since 1996....
(The entire page is 794 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE