In the late 1940s, Orwell used many aspects of existing totalitarian and communist governments to construct the fictional government of Nineteen Eighty-Four. Pictured here are Chinese army tanks bearing down on a man during the Tiananmen Square uprising of 1989.
- In George Orwell's novel 1984, what are Winston's thoughts about human heritage and dying?
- In 1984, compare Goldstein's Brotherhood to Big Brother's Ingsoc. What are the similarities and differences?
- Reading 1984 my teacher simply asked at the end of the book for us to try to prove we exist. How can you prove that you exist?
- What are some examples of social division in 1984?
- How are Winston's conflicts developed with other characters in 1984?
Test Your Knowledge