REFORM MINISTER; TELEVANGELIST
Move to California.
In 1955 Robert Schuller, who was ordained in the Reformed Church of America, moved to Garden Grove, California, to establish a church in this fast-growing region of southern California. His resources were modest, so he rented one of the ubiquitous drive-in movie theaters for his Sunday services and advertised for an audience, "Come as you are in your family car." His success was stunning in this booming suburb that had few established churches. In 1961 he opened his new building for the Garden Grove Community Church, which had a conventional sanctuary but still provided for his drive-in members. (He carefully omitted his congregation's affiliation with the Reformed...
(The entire page is 409 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE