Environmentalism was a new concern for the ecology of the human habitat, a social trend derived from the space program, the energy crisis, scientific warnings about pollution and a future shortage of natural resources, the counterculture's back-to-the-earth movement; and the new interests in health, nature, Asian religion, and human-potential movements.
Image Pop-UpEarth Day demonstrators conclude their rally at the Department of the Interior by leaving spilled oil to protest pollution caused by off-shore oil drilling.
Congress reacted to new public pressures, and in 1970 President Nixon signed the National Environmental Policy Act, which required government agencies to assess the environmental impact of public projects and to protect endangered...
(The entire page is 438 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE