UPS Logo; IBM Logo
By: Paul Rand
Date: 1961, 1972
Source: Rand, Paul. UPS Logo and IBM Logo. Reproduced in Paul Rand: A Designer's Art. New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press, 1985.
About the Designer: Paul Rand (1914–1996) was one of the most influential figures in American graphic design. He developed a unique American graphic style characterized by simplicity, humor, and taste. Educated at New York's Pratt Institute, the Parsons School of Design, and the Art Students League, Rand started his career as art director of Esquire and Apparel Arts (later known as GQ). Going on to a successful career in advertising design, Rand eventually focused solely on his highly effective identity systems for major corporations such as IBM and Westinghouse.
Paul Rand is a seminal figure in the fields of advertising and...
(The entire page is 877 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE