The Greatest Golfer?
It is impossible to certify the claim that Ben Hogan is the greatest golfer who ever lived. Certainly there have been others who have won more money and titles, others who have greater natural ability, and others who have more charisma. Yet none worked as hard, has overcome greater obstacles, or has been as dominant during his hey day as Ben Hogan.
Career in Jeopardy.
In 1949, while driving to a golf appointment, Hogan's car was hit head on by a bus. Remarkably, Hogan lived, but he suffered fractures of his left collarbone, pelvis, left ankle, and a rib. Doctors were certain that Hogan would never be able to play world-class golf again; they questioned whether he would ever walk. Amazingly, less than a year and a half later, in great pain and his legs wrapped in bandages, Hogan again won the U.S. National Open.
His Greatest Year.
In his career Hogan won over...
(The entire page is 383 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE