- 29.8 million elementary and secondary students and 2.3 million college and professional-school students attend school.
- On April 16, Congress creates the National Science Foundation (NSF). The NSF promotes science education and research.
- On July 1, the New Orleans Board of Education in Louisians grants full privileges to married teachers, including the right to promotion (not granted since the Depression).
- On October 16, the New Jersey Supreme Court upholds the practice of reading five verses of the Old Testament every day in all public schools.
- On August 18, the Associated Press reports college costs up 400 percent from fifty years ago. Average tuition for one year is eighteen hundred dollars.
- On September 18, Pope Pius XII states his opposition to sex education in schools.
- On October 19, Yale University celebrates its 250th anniversary.
(The entire page is 1358 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE