At age thirty Eddie Arcaro joined an elite horse-racing circle in 1945, winning his third Kentucky Derby, riding Hoop Jr. His previous victories had been on Lawrin in 1938 and Whirlaway in 1941.
When Citation won the eightieth running of the Belmont Stakes in 1948 (worth $77,700 to the winner), he became the eighth horse to win the Triple Crown since 1919. It was the second Triple Crown for both jockey Eddie Arcaro and Calumet Farms, who won with Whirlaway in 1941.
In 1941 Ken Bartholomew captured the North American speed-skating championship.
In 1942 Saint Louis Cardinal pitcher Johnny Beazley won 21 games, including two in the World Series, to attain the best rookie record since Peter Alexander won 28 in 1911.
In 20 August 1945 seventeen-year-old Brooklyn Dodgers shortstop Tommy Brown hit a home run off Preacher Roe of the Pittsburgh Pirates to become the youngest person to hit...
(The entire page is 895 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE