Date: October 26, 1949
Source: Daily News (Los Angeles), October 26, 1949. Reproduced in the Billy Graham Center Archives. Wheaton College. Available online at http://www.wheaton.edu/bgc/archives/images/laad1.jpg; website home page: http://www.wheaton.edu (accessed April 23, 2003).
Billy Graham (1918–), born in Charlotte, North Carolina, preached his first sermon in 1937. He was ordained a Southern Baptist minister in 1939. After a period as minister of the First Baptist Church in Western Springs, Illinois, he became a traveling "tent evangelist," holding his first mass religious rally at Chicagoland Youth for Christ in 1944. The following year he became the field representative of a growing evangelistic movement known as Youth for Christ and...
(The entire page is 972 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE