INVENTOR OF FM RADIO
Last Great Inventor.
Edwin Howard Armstrong ranks with Alexander Graham Bell and Thomas Edison as one of the greatest of American inventors. Like them, he was a gifted and original thinker, as responsible for modern radio as Edison was for the electric light or Bell for the telephone. Like them, Armstrong worked obsessively and held himself to high moral standards, Unlike them, Armstrong was born in a century when science was rapidly moving from the inventor's shed to the corporate laboratory. In a sense Armstrong was the last of the great nineteenth-century inventors, an individualistic genius who...
(The entire page is 1684 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE